Sunday, July 02, 2006

Up to Luanda


South African Airlines would not do an E-ticket for Luanda, so it was up early again to collect my ticket and check in.

It did no harm, I was able to have a good look through the book shops and get a coffee before meeting Dick. Also bumped into a guy I knew from last time I was here.

flights into Luanda are usually crowded, I've heard rumors about restrictions on the number of flights by foreign airlines, but have no proof.

Anyway, got a window seat upstairs, where the cattle class has a little more room. got a bit of a view of the Okavango, and a view of the fantastic linear landscape (fossil dunes?) in south eastern Angola.

The view on the approach to Luanda was every bit as grim as last time, and still with standing water in some streets. this was a surprise as this is now the winter dry season.

The que for immigration was as slow as ever, I'm a little more complacent about the mildew covered air conditioners in that arrivals hall, but the mosquitoes still get swatted when they come close.

Fortunately my baggage had arrived (it was on the floor when I got to it), and a driver had been sent to collect us. I made the mistake of letting a guy who appeared to be with the driver carry a bag, it cost me 2 dollars.


my photo is of an unfinished tower block in Luanda, rented out on the cheap. No services, no rails on the edges, and precious few walls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home